Sir Christopher Hatton Academy – Phase 1 completed

Our most recent project has just completed phase1.

Client: Sir Christopher Hatton Academy, Wellingborough on the 21st July,

Refurbishment of Block B replacement windows , repairs to the facade, new roof, and internal refurbishments to first floor classrooms – following value engineering and reductions from the original brief the scheme was commenced and additional works were commissioned within Block A and sixth form block.
• Timescales? Commencement 21st July 14 completion 28th November 14
• Name of client? Sir Christopher Hatton Academy Wellingborough
• When does phase 2 start 17th Nov 14 complete mid Jan 15

Image credit: http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/10892

Demolition & redevelopment of the former Savoy Cinema, Kettering

We are currently engaged in the redevelopment and demolition of the former Savoy Cinema to provide 18 flats for a housing association.  The demolition is nearing completion, and the building contract will take approx. 1 year.

 

Facts about The Savoy Cinema  (source: http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/10892 )

The Savoy Cinema opened as a dual purpose cinema and theatre on 21st May 1938 with Spencer Tracey in “The Big City” plus a variety show on stage. It was erected on the same site as the Coliseum Theatre which opened in 1910 but housed in a building dating from 1903. In 1937 it burned to the ground.

The Savoy Cinema was a handsome replacement with 1,150 seats in the stalls and circle. There was a full stage with a flytower, and live performances were often presented, sometimes with a resident theatre company, for example the Northampton Repertory Company presented regular seasons here between 1949 and 1951. The stage was 43 feet wide, 23 feet deep and had a 60 feet high flytower. Backstage there were seven dressing rooms and a band room.

The facade was plain, but solid, and was outlined in neon. The interior was decorated with Grecian murals, had concealled lighting and elaborated ventilation grills down the sides and above the rectangular proscenium. It was a wide and reletively shallow house, which must have given it excellent sightlines. It was taken over by the Clifton Cinemas circuit on 25th Auguat 1944.

In 1968 the circle was split off and extended forward as a smaller cinema seating 485, called the Studio, whilst bingo took over the stalls and stage area. In 1973 this screen was split into two, seating 160 and 140 and known as Studio 1 & 2. After a short closure in 1986 they were re-opened as an independent and were renamed Ohio Cinema, which finally closed in 1997 after an Odeon Multiplex arrived in town.

 

Sir Christopher Hatton School, Wellingborough

Refurbishments to Sir Christopher Hatton Academy

We’re delighted to have just been awarded the contract for improvements and refurbishments to Block B, Sir Christopher Hatton School Wellingborough. Works commence Monday 21st July for a period of approximately 20 weeks.

Sir Christopher Hatton Academy is an independent non denominational Academy providing comprehensive education for boys and girls aged 11 to 18, based in the market town of Wellingborough, Northamptonshire.   It was established following the merger of Westfield Boys School and Breezehill Girls School in 1983, on the former Breezehill site off The Pyghtle.  With a history of independence as a Grant Maintained School and then a Foundation School, the School converted to Academy status on 1st March 2012.

You can read more about the school here: http://www.hattonschool.org.uk/page/?title=About+Us&pid=2

 

 

Website Launch

We are delighted to announce the launch of our new website.

This will be used to focus on establishing closer relationships with existing and potential customers.  The new site has been redesigned with a fresh new look and streamlined site navigation making it more intuitive and user-friendly.  We hope you like our new site; It would be great to hear your comments and feedback on it below.